Monday 16 February 2009

New Iron Man news!


The last few days have offered more Iron Man casting news for the character of Black Widow. First we expected Emily Blunt (The Devil Wears Prada, Charlie Wilson's War) but she had to cancel due to scheduling conflicts. Then came talk that Eliza Dushku (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back) was chasing the role but, sadly, nothing came of that. Now it seems that Scarlett Johansson (Lost in Translation, The Count's Wedding Video) is in serious contention to play the Russian, cat suited super spy.

Now I love Johansson as much as the next man (in fact I'll kill the next man to prove my love) but is she really the right choice here? The character of Black Widow includes a background in ballet, heart break and then serious honey trap style espionage for the Soviets. Scarlett tends to look lovely and mumble a lot. I have a lot of faith in director Jon Favreau but can't help but feel there are a lot of eastern European (or even Russian) actresses that could do this part very well and if it's the star pull that attracted the studio to Scarlett then how about Olga Kurylenko from that rather weak, yet extremely successful recent James Bond film?

What do you folk think?

3 comments:

  1. I can tolerate Johanssen in Iron Man. Extra star power never hurt anyone, but for the love of God, DUSHKU FOR BLACK CAT PLEASE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funnily enough I'd prefer Johnasson as BC and Dushku as BW...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear Dushku when I read a Black Cat story. I also hear her when I do naughty things to myself.

    ReplyDelete